Around 70 to 90 percent of adults in the United States have gingivitis,a type of gum disease caused by plaque buildup. Gingivitis usually starts during puberty and can either progress or diminish depending on several factors. Fortunately,there are numerous DIY options to try and alleviate the symptoms that come with this gum disease,which are discussed throughout this article.
Symptoms of Gingivitis
According to DDS,a Plano,TX dentist who handles many Gingivitis cases,the symptoms that most commonly come with gum diseases may be warning you about more serious overiding health problems. You are advised to seek professional help if you notice any of these symptoms:
- Tender gums
- Swollen gums
- Receding gums
- Bleeding gums
- Dark red or reddish-purple gums
- Bad breath
Ignoring these signs may cause more health issues in the future. Having gingivitis may be a warning sign for other health problems such as diabetes and heart disease,so it would be best to have your dental health checked as soon as possible.
5 DIY Gingivitis Remedies You Can Try
Home remedies are easy to accomplish by yourself in the comfort of your own home. However,it is still recommended to speak with your physician beforehand,especially if you are taking medications or experience health issues. Here are five effective gingivitis remedies to try at home:
- Proper brushing and flossing – you will significantly improve your overall dental health by brushing at least two times a day and then flossing afterward.
- Natural mouthwash – making a mouthwash using either essential oils or saltwater will keep bacteria away from your mouth and speed up healing.
- Dietary supplements – these supplements can help you maintain a well-balanced diet,which contributes to good oral health as well.
- Oil pulling – if you find flossing difficult or painful,oil pulling may be better for you.
- Topical applications – some natural options to consider include turmeric gel,clove rub,neem gel,aloe vera gel,and black cumin gel.
Most of the time,you can prevent gingivitis by maintaining good oral hygiene and diet. If any or some of the symptoms mentioned above apply to you,consulting a professional would be your best option. Gum diseases may indicate more serious health problems that could worsen when overlooked.
– Contributed by staff atBobby Jivnani Dental Clinic